Works In Progress (available on request):
- "How Government Reactions to Violence Worsen Social Welfare: Evidence from Peru" (With Renard Sexton and Rachel Wellhausen.) Paper draft here.
- "Foreign Aid and the Intensity of Violent Armed Conflict." (With Daniel Strandow and Joseph Young.) Revise and Resubmit. Paper draft here.
- "The Weakest Link: Scholarship and Policy on Intrastate Conflict." (With Joseph K. Young). Paper draft here.
- "Disentangling Inter-Ethnic and Immigrant Prejudice: Evidence from South Africa." (With Adam S. Harris, Kennard Noyes, and Daniel Nielson)
- "Ethnic Un-Identifiability: Unpacking the Untested Conventional Wisdom through a Lab Experiment in the Field." (With Adam Harris and Daniel Nielson)
- "Modeling Dynamic Violence: Integrating Events Data Analysis and Agent-Based Modeling." (With Steve Shellman, Joe Young, and Andy Beger)
Published (also see Publications page):
- "The Downstream Effects of Combatant Fragmentation in Civil Wars." (With Peter Rudloff.) Journal of Peace Research
- "Terrorism, Spoiling, and the Resolution of Civil Wars." (With Joseph K. Young.) Journal of Politics.
- "Exclusion, Oil, and Ethnic Armed Conflict." (With Victor Asal, James Piazza, and James Walsh.) Journal of Conflict Resolution.
- "Lootable Resources and Third-Party Intervention into Civil Wars." Conflict Management and Peace Science. (With Josiah Marineau)
- "Is Ethnicity Identifiable? Lessons from an Experiment in South Africa." 2014. Journal of Conflict Resolution. (With Adam Harris)
- "Bargaining and the Interdependent Stages of Civil War Resolution." 2013. Journal of Conflict Resolution.
- "Terrorism and Civil War: A Spatial and Temporal Approach to a Conceptual Problem." 2012. Perspectives on Politics. (With Joe Young)
- "More Combatant Groups, More Terror? Empirical Tests of an Outbidding Logic." Forthcoming at Terrorism and Political Violence. (With Joe Young)
- "Combatant Fragmentation and the Dynamics of Civil War." 2012. British Journal of Political Science. (With Peter J. Rudloff)
- "The Localized Geography of Foreign Aid: A New Dataset and Application to Violent Armed Conflict." 2011. World Development. (With Daniel Strandow, Josh Powell, and Jeff Tanner)
- "Foreign Aid Shocks as a Cause of Violent Armed Conflict." 2011. American Journal of Political Science. (With Richard Nielsen, Zachary S. Davis, Tara Candland, and Daniel L. Nielson)
- "Rumor Dynamics in Ethnic Violence." 2009. Journal of Politics. (With Ravi Bhavnani and James H. Kuklinski)
- "Agents and Conflict: Adaptation and the Complexity of War." 2008. Complexity
- "Fighting Fire with Fire?: How (Not) to Neutralize an Insurgency." 2007. Civil Wars. (With Joe Young)
- "Accounting for the Unaccounted: Weak-Actor Social Structure in Asymmetric Wars." 2007. International Studies Quarterly. (With Scott Edwards)
- "Rethinking Third Party Interventions into Civil Wars: An Actor-Centric Approach." 2006. Journal of Politics. (With Tze Kwang Teo)
- National Science Foundation, Interdisciplinary Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (IBSS), $250,000 consortium grant, (With Michigan, Maryland, BYU)
- "Donor Behavior in Conflict Affected Countries." Swiss Network for International Studies (SNIS). $256,000 Consortium Grant. (With the Graduate Institute of Geneva). 2014-2016.
- "Natural Resources and Armed Conflict." Department of Defense Minerva Initiative. $800,000 Consortium Grant. (With University of North Carolina, Charlotte). 2014-2017.